For over 140 years, First Baptist Church of Killeen has been reaching out to the greater community of Killeen and Fort Hood.
First Baptist Church originated from the little town of Palo Alto in March of 1873. At the time it was known as “The Baptist Church of Christ at Palo Alto.” Ten years later, the church moved to Killeen, meeting in the public school building until a wooden tabernacle could be built. By 1917, the church needed a new meeting place to serve the growing community. Construction of the red brick building at the corner of 4th and Green Streets was completed with a sanctuary on the first floor and Sunday School rooms in the basement. The opening of Camp Hood meant First Baptist Church of Killeen needed more educational space. In December 1949, a new educational building was dedicated.
During the war years of the 1940’s, First Baptist Church held fellowship dinners where families would bring baskets of food. Servicemen were guests of the members during that period. Throughout the 1950’s, the church population expanded. The church sanctuary was too small for Easter and Christmas services, so the congregation would meet in the downtown theater. The church purchased several wooden buildings adjacent to the old sanctuary and dedicated a newer sanctuary and education building in November 1955. Joining the two sanctuaries with one two-story brick building was not completed until 1963.
Later, the Clements Chapel would stand where the old red-brick building once stood. It was dedicated in November 1976. The chapel was built using a trust fund that C. R. Clements, a long time member of First Baptist Church, had given to the church in January 1970.
Over the years, First Baptist Church has supported local mission churches and missionary trips. The church set up funds to purchase land for several of the local Baptist missions that have grown to be active churches in our community. Skyline, Southside, Sunset, and Pershing Park Baptist are just a few of the many missions First Baptist Church of Killeen has sponsored. Through the years, First Baptist has sent its own pastors and members to foreign countries to share the the word of Christ. Places traveled include Germany, Spain, Russia, Brazil, Ukraine, and Mexico.
In the summer of 2009, First Baptist Church moved into its new facility located on South WS Young Drive across from the Killeen Civic and Convention Center. The new facility contains an 800 seat auditorium, fellowship hall, educational space for LifeGroups/Sunday School and Little Learner’s Mother’s Day Out, as well as an administrative office area. The Summer of 2010 has brought a new baseball field and sand pit volleyball area as well as the completion of the new preschool playground.